Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The importance of Web 2.0

I really like the idea of Web 2.0. It sounds very interesting and exciting. I can see how students would be into this type of learning over the traditional style of teaching; especially middle and high school students. However, I do see many obstacles to this. Do I have the resources and time to incorporate this in my second grade classroom? Will parents accept this new type of teaching? I am sure it would require parent approval for their child to be on the internet. One of the articles I read, A Day in the Life of Web 2.0, was very interesting, but it took place in upper middle school. Can elementary school students do this? Maybe they can. I am interested to find out!!

1 comment:

  1. I also wonder how successful this type of approach will be among elementary students...especially 2nd graders, like yours. I was inspired and made hopeful by Mr. Corely's web-site. It seemed as though there was a lot of student interaction. But, again...where the heck is the time??!?
    I'm not sure how popular this will be among parents. I casually mentioned to my mom she should check out my blog yesterday. Without hesitation, she got completely flustered, "Well, how do I do that?" "Can't you just show me when we're together?" "What is a blog anyways?" She might as well have started to hyperventilate and sweat..This computer stuff just isn't for her! I wouldn't be surprised if some of our students' parents feel the same way!
    Despite a rocky start at Starbucks, the blog looks great!!

    ReplyDelete